Probate is a legal process that takes place after someone dies. It generally involves proving the existence of a valid will (if applicable), identifying and inventorying the property of the estate, appraising that property, paying debts and taxes, and finally distributing the remaining property.In addition to paying debts, the probate process is also the way the federal government makes sure taxes are paid.
Topics covered in this report include:
- Assets included in California probate
- Assets excluded from California probate
- Spousal property petition
- Who will serve as representative if there is a will?
- Who will serve as representative if there is no will?
- Steps required during the probate process
- Handling of notices
- Proving the will
- Asset collection
- Payments to creditors
- Estate payments
- Conclusion of the estate