When a loved one passes away, the survivors experience a wide range of heightened emotions, often including denial, anger, depression, and grief. The last thing most people want to think about at such a time are the legal details and practical ramifications of their loved one’s death. The decedent’s estate, however, must pass through the probate process and someone must oversee that process. The probate process can be lengthy and complex, even without any disputes. If a dispute does arise, it will further complicate the probate process. At Schomer Law Group we are committed to helping you through the California probate process. Whether you are a Personal Representative of the estate, a beneficiary or heir, or even a creditor with a claim against the estate, our probate experience and legal acumen will be invaluable to you as you navigate the probate process.
The Probate Process
Probate is the legal process that distributes the estate of decedent. Unless an estate qualifies for a small estate alternative, it will need to go through the formal probate process. Common steps in the probate process include:
- Identifying, locating, and valuing estate assets.
- Initiating the probate process by submitting the decedent’s Last Will and Testament (if applicable) along with a petition to open probate to the appropriate court.
- Identifying and locating legal heirs if the decedent died intestate (without a Will).
- Notifying creditors of the estate that probate is underway.
- Reviewing and approving or denying claims submitted by creditors.
- Defending the estate in the event of disputes.
- Calculating and paying any gift and estate taxes due.
- Effectuating the legal transfer of remaining assets to the intended beneficiaries and/or heirs of the estate.
How We Can Help
Navigating the probate of an estate can be challenging under the best of conditions. If you are an Executor, Administrator, beneficiary, or heir of the estate, the odds are good that you are not operating under ideal conditions as you are likely still grieving the loss of your loved one. A minor mistake made during the probate process can have a profound, and lasting, impact on everyone involved which is why you need an experienced probate attorney on your side throughout the process. Our probate attorneys are dedicated to successfully guiding you through the probate process from start to finish. You do not have to go it alone. We can help.
Contact the Los Angeles Probate Attorneys at Schomer Law Group Today!
At Schomer Law Group, we are committed to helping you through the probate process. Contact the Los Angeles, California office today by calling (310) 337-7696 , or by filling out our online contact form.