An Introduction to Conservatorship Aspects of LA Probate Law
Law is an extensive profession and complex matter with a wide variety of sects, covering each and every possible aspect which is associated directly or indirectly with a human life. Every one of us come across the names of different types of law such as common, civil, criminal, administrative, constitutional, statutory and international in different junctures of life. Any author is not crazy to bring up every form of law as a point of discussion on any platform because each type of law is as vast as an ocean. Here, in this article an approach is taken to give the readers an understanding about a part of probate law of the state of Los Angeles known as conservatorship. You must need to keep in your mind that there are minor differences in law from one state to another of our country, United States of America. It is important to let you know in brief about the general concept of probate law before elaborating about the conservatorship aspects of this particular law. LA probate law takes care of litigation issues associated with a family, such as protection of near and dear ones from any form of malpractice of insurance company, financial planner or a service proving company. It also includes resolving legal disputes related to power of attorney, estate planning, joint bank accounts, gifts or a hill on which the members of families could get involved in the fight after the expiry of the original owner.
Types of Conservatorships of probate law
The conservatorship is a particular litigation issue in the house of court, where the judge appoints a person or an organization termed as a conservator to take care of entire responsibilities of an adult, who is unable to take care of his or her financial responsibilities. Such a person is called legally as a conservatee. The types of conservatorships on the basis of the requisition of a conservatee as per LA probate law code are mentioned below;
· General Conservatorship – In this category the conrservatees are generally senior citizens but sometimes young people are also found who are seriously impaired for any sort of major accident. Here, the conservator is responsible for taking care of the entire financial requirement of a conservatee on a permanent basis.
· Limited Conservatorship – This is the case where conservators are not able to fully manage their financial issues mainly due to some of their chronic illness or developmental disability. In this case the role of the conservator is less than general conservatorship. If a conservatee is in need of a conservator, the court immediately appoints a temporary conservator. The temporary conservator is responsible for protecting the conservatee’s property and handling the financial issues.
· The Lanterman-Petris-Short Conservatorship – This is a special type of conservatorship also known in short as LPS Conservatorship. This particular type of conservatorship is designed by the law to secure financial and property related interests of an individual who is confined to extremely restricted living conditions. People with mental disorder and undergoing mental health treatment or prisoners of law spending their sentence term in locked facilities provide this support.
Types of Probate Conservators
The court can appoint a conservator for a person or an estate. The court can appoint conservator for both the person and estate if found it is essential. As per the guidelines set by LA probate law, a conservator of the person is responsible to take total care of the concerned individual. He must make sure that the conservatee is getting proper food, clothing, shelter and adequate medical care. Sometimes, depending on the inability of a conservatee to make a proper decision on health factors, a conservator comes up with necessary decisions. A conservator of the estate looks after financial issues of the person like paying bills or collection his or her earnings. If a person requires a conservator for both, himself and estate he needs to file a petition in court.
Responsibilities of a Conservator
The responsibility of a conservator depends on the type of conservatorship approved by the LA probate law court. The duties of a conservator of the person associate with day to day necessity of an individual which is essential to maintain a normal healthy and hygienic life as well as to ensure protection to the conservatee. Such a conservator is responsible to make adequate arrangements that will take total personal care of the conservatee. Such as to provide transportation if the situation demands that he need to move out from the house, supplying him with proper diet on the basis of his health situation. In addition to these, a conservator also takes care of conservatee’s housekeeping, clothing, medical factors and issues related to shelter. The present day probate law is very rigid about the recreational factor of a conservatee. Hence, the conservator must keep a watch that he is getting indulged in suitable recreational affairs, which is a compulsion for mental well being. From time to time the conservator has to furnish the report of his performed responsibilities as set by the court. The duties of a conservator of the estate or to take overall control of the financial issues of the conservative. The most important and primary task of such a conservator is to locate the asset and prepare a budget revealing total earning and fixed expenditure of the conservatee and submitting the same to the court. This conservator is also given the authority to invest the money in a manner fulfilling each and every of the conservative on the basis of total earnings. He is responsible to secure and do necessary maintenance of the property along with the tax and payment of bills.
An Introduction to Conservatorship Aspects of LA Probate Law
Latest posts by Scott Schomer, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Estate Planning Procrastination Had Devastating Impact on LA Legend Morrison - May 21, 2019
- Understand the Limitations of Social Security and Medi-Cal - May 5, 2019
- Basic Estate Plan Components - May 4, 2019